The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Monday, June 1, 2009

Home again...


We made it safely to California yesterday! It was a long day with a lot of waiting, not to mention grumpy children, so it felt great to arrive and be welcomed home with a wonderful home cooked meal with Tom's parents! Today they took Kyle up to Redding to golf, so as I type Ashlyn and I are sitting in, "Shari's Restaurant" for dinner and to use the free wireless service!

All has been going well...Today Ashlyn and I tackled boxes, and "stuff." Ah the stuff...once the "stuff" is gone, I feel like my parents really will be too, so this trip I notice I am stalling, being indecisive, and wanting to hold onto to everything. Here was our day today...a little reminiscing and a little fun too!


Let the sorting begin...St. Patrick's Day in June! Keep or sell? That is the question of the day!

Ashlyn found some old books, Easter animals, flags and wagons to play with while I sorted...


A full shed of stuff...Christmas? Keep or sell?

Old kitchen tools, cameras, and stuff I don't know what to do with...I'm going to be dreaming about "stuff" tonight!

Afterwards, running through the sprinklers was good fun!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you made in here safely. I look forward to seeing you this week. Good luck.

Kim said...

I have been thinking about you today my friend and hoping it is going well. You are so good at decorating for all the holidays I was thinking that maybe if you saved at least one thing from each holiday that you have memories of that might be a nice thing to tie into your own memories in Colorado. I have hoarding tendencies so know how hard it is to part with "stuff".
Thanks for keeping us all updated and LOVE the pic of Ashlyn in the sprinklers!

It's Always Something Around Here said...

Been thinking of you!!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Denise, so glad to hear you made it safely! I'm thinking of you as you go about your sorting. Sounds like a lot to go through, but you've got a good helper there.

I hope that you keep some of the ornaments (the most sentimental ones) for your own celebrations, particularly Christmas ornaments. One of the things I love to do most at Christmas is go through the ornaments and remember where I got each one... and they bring back wonderful memories, though the people are long gone. It makes me feel like I'm that much closer to them. I know you can't keep everything, but keep the most special ones. And then you can pass those on to your children.

XO,

Sheila

Unknown said...

Hugs to Denise! I like how others are saying to save a few special for your memories and keepsakes..have you thought about donating to shelters... when I worked in one the woman loved to receive that "stuff" to start making their memories!

My suggestion is just meant as a suggestion and hope I didn't step over the line!

Lucy Marie said...

Glad to hear you are there safely. I am thinking about you this week. Oh how I wish I could take a look at that shed full of Christmas decor! I hope that the week goes as well for you as it possibly can. Blessings to you.

Unknown said...

Good to see you arrived safely. I know the job is daunting.
I agree to keep a few things, sell what you can, as it's all going to the scholarship fund, which is such a worthy cause in that community. There may be things left, and if the woman doing your estate sale does not have a resource, donate, your parents had a church there, it's likely they have a re-sale shop.
Thinking of you..........saying a prayer girl!

Lorri said...

thanks for the update, praying for you! Keep the cameras, you can make a super cool display with those! And Ashlyn looks amazing in green! :)
Love you!

Linda said...

This has got to be the hardest thing you've ever done...I can only imagine all of the time and energy that you are putting forth, not to mention all of the emotions you're feeling. I'm so sorry.

I just lifted you up in prayer and will continue to do so daily until your return to CO. Please know that others are thinking of you and praying for you! Take care!

Sue said...

Denise,

You are in my heart as you go through this painful time in your life. Wish I could just hug you....

Much love!

Melissa said...

I know you will make the right decisions. This has got to be so tough. Sorry you have to go through it!

glitzen said...

Its amazing what you have accomplished already, it truly is. Don't feel bad for stalling a bit, its part of the process..and grief is a journey, every step. I love Kim's idea about holding on to one holiday thing, whatever has the strongest memory for you. Or make a small box, label it "Ashlyn" and write down a few stories to put in there with the decorations. She can open it someday and it can be like a time capsule.
Hugs and prayers, my friend!

Darlene said...

I know this is a rough time for you having to go through all of those memories. You are in my heart and prayers.♥

Laura said...

It looks like Ashlyn was having a good time!
What else did the kids do all week? Are you planning a yard Sale this weekend?